Wednesday 17 October 2012

Coca Cola; bottles.



Just by coincidence I was in town one weekend and Coca Cola happened to be promoting the latest limited edition range of Coca-Cola bottles so I picked up a free bottle of Diet Coke with the consideration that it may prove useful for my research. I was able to see what relevent information needed to be included on the bottle, how they had gone about laying both the back and front of the bottle design out and also the quality of the print. Due to the fact I'm focusing more on the actual bottle design and the promotional side of a limited edition range all the extra information isn't as relevent but it still needs to be considered because I need to leave space within my designs for these factors. Seeing the bottle printed like this also gave me ideas for the materials I'd like to consider when it comes to my own designs but this form of printing will be proposed. 



During the summer I also picked up the complete set of the olympic range for this London 2012. It was great to be able to compare to two bottles because although the material of the bottle was the same, the designs were completely different. This shows that there isn't really any limitation in what I design because many different designs can utilize the bottle design and shape. This bottle also proved good for research because all of the olympic ones have been packed in this cardboard case. I imagine the reason for packaging this is because London 2012 is such an important event and a once in a lifetime thing so the quality of the product needed to be higher than that of the other bottle designs. This is seen as more of a collectors item with the event that it is connected to. The type of packaging and whether the item is packaged at all will definitely depend on the purpose of the bottle range. I think with my own bottle range it will not need to be packaged like this because the idea of my concept is to sell the bottles so the packaging would be a waste because it would just be thrown away. I also think in a way that the packaging takes a lot away from the actual bottle design because it hides the majority of the design. 

No comments:

Post a Comment